Vitamin B complex
Supplements containing all eight are referred to as a Vitamin B complex.
B-complex vitamins act as coenzymes, helping enzymes to react chemically with substances that are involved in energy production. The B vitamins should always be taken together.
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine): enhances circulation and assists in blood formation, carbohydrate metabolism and production of hydrochloric acid which is important for proper digestion.
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): necessary for red blood cell formation, anti-body production, cell respiration and growth.
- Vitamin B3 (niacin, nicotinic acid, nicotinamide): need for proper circulation and healthy skin. Aids in the functioning of the nervous system, metabolism of fats and proteins, secretion of bile and stomach fluids and synthesis of sex hormones.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): known as the anti-stress vitamin. Important for production of adrenal hormones and formation of antibodies and helps to convert fats, carbohydrates and proteins into energy.
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxal, and pyridoxamine): involved in more bodily functions than any other nutrient.
- Vitamin B7 (biotin): also known as vitamin H. Aids in cell growth, fatty acid production, metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Sufficient quantities are needed for healthy hair and skin. 100mg may prevent hair loss in some men.
- Vitamin B9 (folic acid): also know as vitamin M: considered as brain food. Assists in energy production and formation of red blood cells. Very important during pregnancy. Works best when combined with vitamin B12 and vitamin C.
- Vitamin B12 (cobalamins, cyanocobalamin): chemically complex, difficult to absorb, important for growth and production of the nervous system.
**The products and the claims made about specific products on or through this site have not been evaluated by SupplementsCanada.com or Health Canada and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Information about each product is taken from the labels of the products or from the manufacturer's advertising material. SupplementsCanada.com is not responsible for any statements or claims that various manufacturers make about their products. We cannot be held responsible for typographical errors or product formulation changes. Sport supplementation should be used by persons 18 years and older.