Whey is a natural, low lactose protein derived from cow's milk. It boasts the highest concentrations of branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) and Biological Value (BV) of all proteins. Aside from its benefits for fat loss, lean muscle gains, and appetite control, supplementation of whey protein, benefits the body's immune system and greatly enhances hormonal and cellular responses. Whether your goal is to build bigger muscles or cut down and get shredded, whey protein should be your number one supplement!
How do I use it?
Whey protein can be mixed with any liquid, most commonly water, milk or juice.
Whey protein can be taken at the following times of the day in order of importance:
- Postworkout- 30-50 grams in a postworkout drink with 30-100 grams of carbs. Add 5-10 grams of glutamine and 3-5 grams of creatine for enhanced recovery from workouts. Do not mix with milk as this will slow digestion.
- Bedtime- 25-40 grams. Sleep is when we grow. Consuming protein before bed lessens the harmful fasting period that occurs when we sleep. Although whey is a good source of protein before bed, a sustained-release protein powder is better because it will feed your muscles for a longer period of time. If Whey is your only option, mix it with fibre and/or healthy fat to slow digestion. You may also mix it with another protein source like milk or cottage cheese.
- Morning- Immediately upon awakening. Your body has been fasting through the night and is in need of protein. So if you don't have time for an omelette have a whey shake with your breakfast.
- Mid-sleep (Optional)- This dosage is taken at usually 3:00-4:00 A.M., to keep our body in a constant anabolic drive. Again this is optional, but if you wake up in the middle of the night, make the most of it. Ready-to-drink shakes are great for this.
Summary of Benifits
- Increased Muscle Growth
- Increased Strength and Endurance
- Increased Fat Loss (in combination with a sensible diet)
- Quicker Recovery Between Workouts
- Fortification of Immune System
- Appetite Control
Proteins - Whey Blends Products
Proteins - Sustained-Released Products
Proteins - Whey Isolate Products
Proteins - Soy/Vegetable Products
**The products and the claims made about specific products on or through this site have not been evaluated by SupplementsCanada.com or Health Canada and are not approved to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. Information about each product is taken from the labels of the products or from the manufacturer's advertising material. SupplementsCanada.com is not responsible for any statements or claims that various manufacturers make about their products. We cannot be held responsible for typographical errors or product formulation changes. Sport supplementation should be used by persons 18 years and older.